Thursday, August 6, 2009

Vegetable Box: Week 7

vegetable box: week 7

I've been away the past few weeks and my neighbors received my vegetable box in exchange for watering my plants. Thanks guys!


This week we got some beautiful edible flowers, cherry tomatoes, organic corn, chinese eggplants, beets, and cucumbers. I guess I have to make a salad tonight to use the flowers or they'll go bad. I've been on a search for an interesting beet soup. I had a warm version a couple of years ago at The Kitchen in Boulder, Colorado. It was delicious, earthy, and a bit spicy. Do you know a good beet soup recipe that's not your typical Borscht style?


vegetable box with edible flowers
Vegetable Box: Week 7
Vegetable Box: Week 7

10 comments:

  1. Have you tried the beet soup recipe from The Kitchen's website?

    http://thekitchencafe.com/artman2/publish/Sides_55/Beet_Soup_254.shtml

    I've never eaten there and don't know how close it is to what they served you, but maybe it's somewhere to start?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've just featured a beet gazpacho at the tearoom...i think it's originally a gourmet recipe if you check it out on epicurious.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wonderful Jenn! I didn't know they had recipes on their site. I'll try it out tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's lots of recipes here (including soup)

    http://www.abelandcole.co.uk/recipes/beetroot

    They are an organic delivery company, and their recipes turn out pretty good. I made their beetroot risotto and it was pretty tasty (good cold the next day too.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I´ve never seen such a beautiful vegi box!
    You could also try making some juice from your beetroot´s with carrots, celery and ginger ... very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy made the beat soup last night. I had a bowl for dinner. It was... (it was...) good, could have been great as a garnish or salad dressing. As a soup, the flavor was very flavorful; almost to flavorful. How can that be a bad thing? It wasn't a bad thing, I guess I'm not a super beet fan. Thanks Katy, dinner was great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that last photo. so beautiful in its rustic simplicity. perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colors alone are a feast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always wanted to go to The Kitchen in Boulder! Was it amazing? I have read so many good things about it! Maybe I will try one of their recipes! Gorgeous tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't soup the beetroot! Peel and grate and dress them with a balsamic vinegrette. Save the soup until autumn.

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online