Friday, August 21, 2009

Bathroom Inspiration from The Boundary Hotel

Conran's New London Hotel Bathroom

I'm taking a bit of a break from the Maine posts and sharing some more bathroom inspiration. I just spotted a few lovely baths that caught my eye over at Remodelista. Greg really wants to use external shower faucets where the pipes come out of the wall like the image above. Our current bathroom has the pipes inside the wall. Our bathroom stall wall is an exterior wall exposed to the elements. Meaning the wall has little shelter from the freezing outside elements. He's fearing the pipes could freeze if we kept the pipes in the wall. In this worst case scenario we would have to knock out the shower tile to fix any bursted pipes from freezing. This issue could be solved if we designed the pipes to be inside the shower stall like above. I think the pipes look kinda cool and industrial. Below two more amazing bathrooms from Terence Conran's new Boundary Hotel in London.


p.s. hope that makes sense? It's a little confusing and I tried to re-write. Basically most people's pipes are inside the wall which if it's on an exterior wall of the home the pipes would have a higher chance of freezing in extreme northern climates.



Conran's New London Hotel Bathroom
Conran's New London Hotel Bathroom

10 comments:

  1. I bookmarked those bathrooms as soon as I saw them for my someday house - although my favorite was the high drama black and white graphic tile.

    I love the exterior pipes, but never thought about them freezing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I should rewrite the post and make it little more clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely something to watch for; in the past when I found myself with a shower fixture on an exterior wall, the advice I was given was, where it can't be avoided, to fur it in, or apply extra insulation to buffer the pipe from the cold.

    The uppermost image still has supply water buried in the wall until it gets to the mixing chamber, so leaving the surface where it is may not do what you need it to.

    I'm partial to clawfoot tubs where problems like this are handled so easily: http://www.plumbingworld.com/images/sotc-royalaqueduct-shower.jpg but I love where you're going with the shower stall. Especially if you use the little tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it! And your post made total sense. I love that you blog about practical issues (like freezing pipes) along with design - I feel like sometimes people forget that a bathroom has to be practical in addition to being gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful inspiration baths.

    Jessica's suggestion to fur out the wall is an excellent one. To take it a step further, if you're not crazy about the idea of furring out the entire depth of the shower, you may also consider furring out only a portion to house the plumbing and add tiled shelves for shampoo, etc. on one or both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of great ideas ladies! Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just read on Brownstoner you cannot use putty on marble. It will stain it. I don't even know what a plumber would be doing with putty instead of grout, but apparently lots of plumbers use it. Don't let them.

    mopar

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the exposed pipes... the technical term is 'exposed thermostatic valve'... and they are usually a little more pricey. (worth it in my opinion!) i have a couple cheaper resources if you are interested email me... hate to fill your comment section with a bunch of links. ;) erikampowell(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Japanese bathrooms as well, and am putting in a modified asian/rural look: wood soaking tub, electronic Japanese bidet (washes you AND dries you), custom made double sink console with two tin basins and columnar faucets in my 1832 home. There is to be a separate all glass shower stall with external fixtures (similar to your photo above, but small) and the original wide plank wood floors will get a marine varnish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hard to choose things for your OWN bathroom when you see soooo many nice things in different bathroom. To us, pinning down our own personal style will be the challenge. But WOW to the pictures and inspiration.
    GOOD LUCK & have fun shopping around!

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online