Thursday, July 30, 2009

Acadia National Park, Maine

Acadia Park: Bar Harbor, Maine

As we drove further north on our road trip we heard predictions of heavy downpours and rain the following days. We decided to shorten the trip by a day and drive straight to Acadia in Bar Harbor. I was getting kinda burnt out on shopping and wanted to get outside anyway.


Acadia National Park is completely gorgeous. Pay $20 for the day and take your time driving around Mount Desert Island. Every overlook will take your breath away. I was anticipating the breathtaking views from Cadillac Mountain. The drive up the mountain (large hill) was a bit treacherous. My mom is afraid of heights (she was driving) and I've developed the fear of cars crashing into ravines somewhere between my 27-30th year of life. This is probably due to the fact I almost drove us off into a ravine in the middle of the winter on the Kangamangus highway in New Hampshire. So we crept our way up the large hill as I gasped at the overlooks while my mom kept her eyes concentrated on the middle of the road. It was a bit hysterical, laughing helped. At the very top the ocean surrounds you in every direction.


I would love to come back with Greg and do some hiking and spend a few days camping. If only it wasn't so far away. Acadia is 4 hours north of Portland, Maine. When we were driving out of Bar Harbor I counted 12 very large private jets at the small airport. If I only had a jet I would come every weekend! I took a ton of photos. Above and below are my favorites.


Acadia Park view from Cadillac Mountain in Maine
View from Cadillac Mountain Bar Harbor, Maine
Acadia park Maine
Acadia National ParkCadillac Mountain looking down to Bar Harbor, Maine

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you're posting these Maine photos just in time for my trip! I can't wait to go to Acadia. We're camping in Lamoine State Park, right outside of Bar Harbor, for three nights. We plan on doing a whole day in Acadia. Thanks, Katy!

    P.S. We're still planning on visiting Marblehead :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hiked the beehive trail years ago and watched the 4th of july fireworks from on top of Cadillac Mt. and LOVED it. I need to get back there someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous. I've spent many summers hiking up Cadillac Mountain and it's been many since I was last there. Those views are so inspirational and the climb so invigorating. I long to be there! Thanks for posting the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful scenic shots. nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online