Friday, June 19, 2009

Side Room in Tiny Pink Stripes?

Side Room Second Floor

I've been thinking about this tiny room a lot this week. It hasn't gotten much attention. We started removing layers of wallpaper sometime last fall for fun. I love the wallpaper but it does need to go. It has paint and plaster stuck to it. The paint probably has lead and not the best idea to have in a house that could have kids. So sorry guys the wallpaper does have to go. I hope I can save a big piece and have it framed.


I've thought about painting the walls pink (see inspiration here). I have a chair rail so the bottom with be an off-white just like the rest of the molding in the house.


I had an idea this week to paint the walls a ticking pink stripe (like this). Maybe pink and khaki? The problem? Finding painter's tape narrower enough to use. I found 3/4" painter's tape but I don't think that will be narrower enough to get the look I want. Am I being crazy?


Other things that I hope will happen in the room. The bookcase will get replaced with a smaller table with some baskets below and a mirror and some pictures above. I want a pretty stool or table to fit under the window for my plants. Floral curtains and more art. The floor will get stripped and then maybe a muted antique rug. Below photos from every angle of this very small room.


Related Posts:

A few of my favorite pink rooms

Cheap Ticking Stripe Fabric at Period Fabrics

Relaxed Bahamas Beach House

English Cottage Inspiration



Side Room Looking From Living Room
Side Room Looking Toward Living Room
Side Room Looking into Dining Room

18 comments:

  1. I love the wide plank floors! What a cute little room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea of a ticking stripe. By chance, have you thought of upholstering the walls with one of the fabrics you like? A little unusual, but could be fun in a small space...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love the paint idea!!! I love that you have pretty plants around even though everything is a WIP. It's going to be amazing!! And, I love the idea of framing that wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try the white tape fashion designers use to drape clothes. It is about 1/3 of an inch and should come right off the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks AmyKay for the tape tip. I have to ask a designer friend if she can get me some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've thought about just using fabric to line the walls. Just don't know how committed I am to the idea of tiny pink stripes. Paint feels less scary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking at the room pictures, I thought that maybe you could put up some nice shelves on the wall with the old wallpaper. Then on the shelves, you can put some nice display jars with some flowers petals of different colors in them. Then maybe but a little desk in the opposite corner. For some color in the room I thought about some "Japanese masking tape". look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Katie:

    Here is some painter's tape in 3/8, 1/4, and 1/8, for all your crazy-but-cool ticking stripes:
    http://www.fauxfinishingshoppe.com/cheestapandm.html
    The 1/4 inch one is in the right hand column about half way down the page. It is by scotch.
    Happy painting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoops, sorry - meant Katy -- my fingers type faster than my brain thinks some days ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. also, look into drafting tape, I know that comes in .25 in. and could be picked up at a local art supply store.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute room. It's so nice that your house is prettily decorated even though rehabilitation is ongoing. (Oh yes and I'm including the so-called ghetto kitchen. I'm a big fan.)

    Mopar

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't be afraid to paper back some inexpensive ticking stripe to hang above the chair rail. It goes up just like wallpaper and will be much less hassle than taping out thousands of little bitty stripes. Not to mention the fabric texture on the walls will add a lot to the space. Of course if you do paint the stripes it will be phenomenal either way- can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess I am the odd man out but I am still IN LOVE with that pink room, it has the same feel as your room. I love the white washed floors and I especially like the gray accent color....just my opinion but I think you may get tired of the stripe..the pink would make that room POP!...and think how great your paintings would look against the pink...how about an upholstered bench in ticking?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute little room! I think pink & cream stripes would look fabulous in there. Great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a fantastic room! i don't think you can go wrong no matter what you decide... love love love the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a decorative painter and have done many a striped room. Taping off stripes is mind-numbingly tedious. I generally make wider stripes (2-4" wide). First you have to mark off the stripes with a level (if you want perfectly plumb stripes), then you tape off the stripes. I've spent days just on those two prep steps before even getting to the painting. For such a tiny stripe that you want, I'd base paint the walls a light pink, glaze over them and while glaze is wet, use a combing tool to drag through to make the stripes. They will be softer than a taped stripe but you'll still have your sanity! Combing is also a very traditional surface treatment and totally suitable for your house.
    There is also strie which is a similar way of doing stripes but using a brush to drag through the glaze instead of a combing tool. Strie ends up looking like fabric to me because of the softness of the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I forgot to mention that the glaze for both the strie and combing technique should be tinted pink as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, thanks everyone for all your help!

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online