Monday, June 22, 2009

Can I Sew My Own Liberty Print Dress?

apc: liberty tops
APC: Top

Tops designed in Liberty Fabric by A.P.C.


It's amazing to see my favorite Liberty florals appearing in modern and sexy summer fashion. I could buy every single piece and feel like the happiest girl in the world. Like many of you I'm broke and unemployed. Liberty heaven feels far fetched and a guilty pleasure I can't indulge.


Chelsea over at {Frolic} and I have been wondering what if us non-clothing sewers took the dive and tried making our own summer frocks? We can buy our coveted liberty fabric online and try whipping up a few simple dresses? Maybe I'll start with some fabric that's a bit less expensive then Liberty.


My mom always made fancy dresses for my sister and I when we were little. She even made a few skirts for me to wear to work when I first graduated from college. Mom will you come and help? I found some patterns I like here. I can do this, right?


Nadinoo: Pixies Tea Dress
Nadinoo: Liberty Top
Nadinoo: rose_dress

Liberty print dresses and tops designed by Nadinoo via Beautiful Paper.


Related Posts:

Floral Liberty Fabric

Plaid and Floral Summer Dresses @APC

Discount Floral Farbics at Mardens

11 comments:

  1. You totally can! I made my own this summer using fabric I got in Paris and have been wearing it nonstop, but DEFINITELY make a practice one first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can totally do it! I've been wanting to do this myself. You can substitute a less expensive calico while you test out your patterns. I can't wait to see the results so I hope you post whether or not they turn out ideally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely! get some cheap-o muslin to experiment with ($3/yard or so). also if you already have a top/dress that you like the shape of, you can use that to trace the silhouette. I did that with a top I made a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes you can! And you absolutely should. And then you should make one for me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can do it, then it'll definitely help give me the courage to give it a try myself. I've never sewn more than a pillow in my life, so the thought of trying out a dress or skirt or anything more complicated kinda freaks me out. But I want to try, if I can only find the time and courage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, you can definitely do it! i have been meaning to make some dresses and skirts all summer--they are so easy and pretty to wear and make me feel pretty, even when i am sweating buckets. and sewing them? easy peasy! you can totally do it. i have been drooling over the liberty fabrics, too. maybe i will take a leap and buy some, although i keep trying to find some good stuff at the thrift stores. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, very easy, especially if your mom is advising. Copying existing clothes works best. Make a pattern in muslin first. Though Built by Wendy patterns might be good, but I haven't tried them. Some of the fast fashion places also carry this look. Uniqlo in NYC had a Liberty type print blouse for $60.

    Mopar

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom agreed to help. Told me I have to come to her house b/c she has a serger and all the fancy gadgets I need to make a few dresses. Maybe next week?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristen Elliott JonesJune 23, 2009 at 7:47 AM

    can you make me one too-please mom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have total faith you can do this, and *extremely* well, you are just so gifted in this area, and with Mom's assistance? You're golden. (Did you see they are closing their Sloane store?)

    Can't wait to see the pics!
    tp

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online