Friday, May 1, 2009

Recipe: Rhubarb Crumb Bars

Rhubarb Crumb Bars
Rhubarb Crumb Bars Detail

My boyfriend's first response after taking a bite of a rhubarb crumb bar, "delicious". When the bars first came out the oven I was a bit unsure. The rhubarb looked dry I was afraid it was going to taste chewy. Turns out the rhubarb is super moist and just the right amount of sweet. I doubled the recipe to fit into my larger 9 x 13 pan. I also added lemon zest to the rhubard mixture and some nutmeg to the crumb topping. I will be making two more cookie recipes today so stay tuned. I have to run Greg is eating all the bars!


Recipe Courtesy of Everyday Food


Ingredients

FOR THE STREUSEL

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus room-temperature butter for pan

1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan

1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt



FOR THE CAKE

1/2 pound rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

1 tablespoon light-brown sugar

1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup confectioners' sugar

2 large eggs

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides. Butter and flour parchment and pan, tapping out excess flour.



Make streusel: Whisk together butter, brown sugar, and salt. Add flour and mix with a fork until large crumbs form. Refrigerate until ready to use.



Make cake: In a medium bowl, combine rhubarb, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup flour. In another medium bowl, whisk 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs, one at a time. With mixer on low, beat in vanilla, then flour mixture. Spread batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle with rhubarb and top with streusel.



Bake cake until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool completely in pan. Using paper overhang, lift cake from pan. Cut into 16 bars.


Related Posts:

Recipe: Banana Chocolate Chip Quick Bread

Recipe: Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars

Recipe: Gingersnaps

6 comments:

  1. Kate - this is seriously one of the best treats you've ever made. The mess in the kitchen was worth it. The rhubarb adds more bitter than sweet. The crumb makes the sweet but not to sweet. The moist spongy cake holds it all together nicely. Writing this comment makes my mouth water. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katy, I saw this in Everyday Food, but now I definitely want to try it after seeing your post. We love rhubarb too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just put some in the oven- it looks very good, so far! I remember back when you couldn't even make a snickerdoodle! Well done, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you drunk Gagnon? I've always been a great cook. You didn't even spell my name right!

    Maybe I only shared the crumby cookies with you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a bit tipsy. And you were always a good cook, but you did refuse to bake. Or was that just a ploy to make me bake?

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online