Thursday, May 28, 2009

Recipe: Mexican Wedding Cookies

Mexican Wedding Cookies

I had a sweet craving last night and seemed to have nothing in my cabinets to make anything good ie no chocolate. As I rummaged through my cabinets I came across a bag of almonds. I immediately thought to myself: almonds check, butter check, powder sugar check. I knew I could scrounged up the rest of the ingredients to make Mexican Wedding Cookies. A simple cookie made of ground almonds (or pecans) and basically butter. Yummy with coffee or tea. My sweet tooth was definitely satisfied.


Ingredients:

2 sticks soft unsalted butter

1 cup powdered sugar + additional for powdering

2 tablespoons vanilla

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 cup of Almonds or Pecans (toasted)

2 cups flour



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toast almonds or pecans in oven for 8-10 minutes. Let cool. Put toasted almonds, flour, salt, and cinnamon in a food processor; process until almonds are finely chopped, about 1 minute. Set aside.


In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle, cream butter and 1 cup confectioners' sugar on medium until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add vanilla and mix until combined. Add the almond mixture, and mix on low until dough just comes together.


Roll dough into twenty 1 1/2-inch balls; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake cookies until lightly browned around the edges, about 25 minutes. Transfer baking sheets to a wire rack; let stand until cool enough to handle.


Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar. Let cookies cool 15 minutes, and roll again.


Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart


Related Posts:

Recipe: Rhubarb Crumb Bars

Recipe: Banana Chocolate Chip Quick Bread

Recipe: Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars

7 comments:

  1. YAY! Thanks, lady!

    My mom always has these around at the holidays, and they are my favorite cookie of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've made them with lemon zest before-- so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these for our engagement party and people are still raving about them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome Heather. I'm glad everyone loved them. How could they not? So delicious.

    Congratulations on your engagement!!

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online