Thursday, May 14, 2009

Flat Stanley Project: Marblehead, MA

flat stanley: having an ice cream in marblhead

This morning I was working on a Flat Stanley project for my niece. I really don't know much about the history behind Flat Stanley. I just know it's a book and I guess Stanley travels. I showed him the sights here in Marblehead. Lots of photos of boats, lobster pots, and buoys. I wanted to show Stanley all the great things you find in a New England coastal town. The weather was a bit crumby and rainy. I hope my niece thinks the photos are funny! A few of my favorites above and below. See more here.

flat stanley: bouys
Flat Stanley @ The Little Storeflat stanley: posing with flowering tree
flat stanley: mini truck
flat stanley: marblehead harbor
flat stanley: marblehead harbor
Flat Stanley in Front of my house

9 comments:

  1. Flat Stanley is terrific! It was the title of a book published in the 1960s. A bulletin board falls off of Stanley's bedroom wall while he's sleeping and flattens him. He uses his new state to slip through a sidewalk grate to retrieve something (a yo-yo?), fold himself into an envelope to be mailed to visit his friends, get flown as a kite, and many other fun adventures. This was one of my favorite books as a child, and I think the Flat Stanley project is a wonderful thing!

    for more info, see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  2. so much fun!! and that granite step looks AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great, Katy! I especially love Flat Stanley's little paper arms flapping in the very real wind.

    My sister did this for our niece but just took one pic of her & stanley in a yellow cab:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're sweet to take such care with the project. I'm sure the class will love it! We did that when my high schoolers were in first grade, and really appreciated the friends/family members who took the time out to photograph Flat Stanley--and this was before digital! The best one we had was Flat Stanley at the Metropolitan Opera in NYC. Anyway, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I've never heard of Flat Stanley before, but I'm definitely loving your pics.

    One question, though. Where is his other arm in the last picture?

    ReplyDelete
  6. HIs arm blew behind him. It was really windy out yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha - this made me laugh out loud - LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this takes me back! My daughter took Flat Stanley to Washington, DC with us when she was in the third grade...so many years ago. The nice park ranger (is that what he's called?) at the Washington Monument let us take a picture of him with Flat Stanley. What a fun memory. Thanks for reminding me.

    Tricia - Avolli

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online