Friday, April 24, 2009

Tomato Plants Update

tomato plants growing

tomato plants growing

A little update on my heirloom tomato plants. The baby plants are coming along nicely. I took the top of the growing container because the plants were mushing up against it. The plants are starting to sprout real tomato like leaves. I think that's a good sign. I've been reading some garden forums and found out I should wait till mid-may (because of frost fears) to put the little guys outside. I also read I should slowly introduce them to the outdoors by allowing them to spend a few days outside till they are finally planted. Really? Should I give them therapy sessions too? To me that sounds stupid. I guess some people keep their houses really warm. My house is cold enough inside to make you feel like your outside. Actually today it's warmer outside.


I saw these fancy red tomato supports over at Smith & Hawken. I was slightly intrigued...I think it was the red that seduced me. But then I snapped to it and realized they are totally ridiculous for $18 each. I think i'll stick with my plain old generic stakes and maybe paint them with some kind of non-toxic paint.



Related Posts:

Tomato Seeds Growing

Sowing Tomato Seeds

House Renovation: Granite Pavers For Garden Border

4 comments:

  1. I think the main reason that it's good to put the seedlings outside to "harden them off," is for them to adapt to breezes. Growing indoors where the light is often weaker makes can make seedlings spindly, and putting them outside where they move back and forth a bit in the wind makes for stronger stems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes sense Sasha. I was being harsh to my baby plants.

    I promise tomato plants I'll take care of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They'll thank you for it when they start producing that delicious fruit! I wish it was tomato season now. We have had bad tomato crops for the last two years-- I kind of think that maybe its been too many days over 100 degrees-- I heard somewhere (maybe an old Victory Garden?) that they won't set fruit if its over that temp. I don't know if its true, but its been really disappointing to have nice healthy plants that flower, but just don't seem to fruit much. I want to can tomatoes this year, but need a good crop first.

    Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still waiting for my little tomato babies to pop their heads out of the dirt. Hopefully this week.
    You have inspired me to paint my ugly tomato cages bright red. That will really brighten the garden up until the tomatoes appear.
    You should try string beans and zucchini too. They grew the best for me last year.

    Good luck with the garden!

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online