Sunday, April 19, 2009

House Renovation: Granite Pavers For Garden Border

Granite Pavers So Far

Over the weekend we worked on cleaning up our side garden. An old tree root needed to be dug out, dirt and roots needed to be removed, and old railroad ties had to be pulled out. We dug out about half the length of garden in a day and 1/2. Greg sawed, banged, and eventually used a jack to get out the old tree root that had grown into the foundation. Quite the ordeal. I worked on removing the excess dirt and cleaning out all the small rocks and roots. On Sunday, we headed over to a granite yard and picked out some old granite pavers. Once the railroad ties were removed the granite pavers were pretty easy to put in.


Up next? I need to keep digging out the rest of the garden. The one problem I am running into—where to put the excess dirt? We may use part of it as fill for a planned garden in the back of the property. A neighbor suggested putting up a, "free dirt sign". I'm sure we will figure something out. I can't wait to plant some flowers and eventually put in a patio.


p.s. I seem to be the only taking photos this weekend. Below Greg doing everything from digging up tree roots to installing pavers.


p.p.s. we bought the house painted in two colors. This summer the house is getting painted dark gray with black shutters.


Side of house
Greg Getting Tree Root Out
Greg Choosing Pavers
Greg Putting In Granite Pavers
excess dirt

Related Posts:

Front Garden
Old Bricks and Cobblestones

12 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your progress. This makes me crave my own home, instead of renting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work and hats-off to DIY. Reminds me of our previous house, a 300 year-old MA historic. Always a work in progress... but it's delightful to be stewards of such wonderful structures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Katy. It's so much fun to get your hands in the dirt. Our yard and gardens were a mess when we moved in and I had a great time revamping all of the beds. It's hard work but so rewarding. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're brave and industrious! I would just weep and then faint dead away :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where's the granite yard?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just like aly, I was wondering about the granite yard. I did the fron of my house very similar to yours, with the granite blocks. We paid per pound, and roughly came out to be $5 per block. (That is why we stopped after just doing the front). What were the prices at the granite yard & where is it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We found the granite via a craigslist ad. I have to dig it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could totally use some of that dirt! Great work - I love the granite pavers. I have a lot of old tree roots to dig up myself - my husband got one out last week and it took up most of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Need Cobble Stones - call "Biz" in Saugus Ma. 781.389.8297, tell'em GreG sent ya.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love very much granite pavers.Granite pavers a good way for make attractive your garden and pool. Olympic stone distribute all type pavers like marble pavers, granite pavers and more at very affordable price.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After install the granite pavers, your home and garden look changed automatically. it's very helpful to make your home and garden attractive and keep clean.

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online